Thursday, January 10, 2013

Learning

Jameson has had the unique experience to interview Three Brave Men/Women for a writing project in his 4th grade class.  He chose three adults from his family including his Grandpa (or Bomp Wade as he has always  called him).  One of the questions that made my father stop and give some thought was, "If you could change one thing that has happened in your life, what would it be. Explain."

I know for myself, a dozen things ran through my head.  But the question really seemed to stump my dad.  Really? I thought.  How about for my life - never having to battle weight, or not having to go through infertility or a job loss or dating some guy or any other number of things. So when he couldn't seem to think of anything, I suggested maybe his cancer?  What about the time he did not pass the professional engineering exam the first try or when he was passed over for a promotion in his career or even when he grew up in a family with very little money.  That's when in all his wisdom he said this, "I wouldn't change anything in my life.  It has all been a learning experience for me.  It has made me who I am today.  There are no mistakes."

I was speechless.  He sincerely meant this.  He wasn't saying it in any pretentious or lofty manner.  He truly believes this.

I hope someday I can feel the same way.  I hope someday I can have a portion of the wisdom my father does and I hope the same for my Jameson and Carter.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the LIKE button?

Anonymous said...

Where's the LIKE button?

Karen Cluff said...

I love it. No regrets!

Mom and Kenz said...

Very wise! I too hope someday I will be grateful for everything... not there yet!

Shella's Ramblings said...

I feel incredibly grateful to have gramps in my life. Thanks for sharing this and your boys!

Donna Lyn said...

I'm with Brenda - Where's the LIKE button?