Saturday, January 31, 2009

So I'm a Foodie, I know it.

I have an affinity for crab. Not Krab. Crab. I loved it so much when I was pregnant, that I feared my son would be born with a claw. Sidenote: he wasn't. The Huz has developed a system in which to retrieve the crab from the claw without incident - long, thick pieces of succulent meat then dipped in melted butter and lemon. So you can imagine my excitement when for Christmas The Huz gave me Cooking Light's Annual Recipes (all the recipes they publish in their 2008 magazines neatly bound in one place). On the front cover was Crab Cakes and Roasted Vegetables with Tangy Butter Sauce. Mmmmm. A crab lover's find! My goal is to try one new recipe a week. However, I had to wait until the time was right for these little cakes of goodness. The other night was the right time. They are made with panko bread crumbs. A Japanese bread crumb that doesn't get soggy. (I detest forking a crab cake that is mush a la mush). The roasted vegetables were divine as well as the tangy butter sauce. All easier to make than you would think. Just click here for the recipe.


Now it is Superbowl time. Ah, football. Let's see, I think I heard something about which teams are playing...the Cardinals...I thought they were a baseball team? So I'm not much of a football fan, but I am a Foodie, so here's just another excuse for me to cook/eat. Besides that, a 1-hour The Office is on right after the game. There's all the reason I need to whip up a few snacky snacks! Here's an easy one to try (not from Cooking Light):


Avocado Salsa Cups
2 small plum tomatoes, chopped

2 small avocados, peeled and chopped

2 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro

2 Tbsp lime juice

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup sour cream

Tostitos Scoops chips (approximately 30)


Combine ingredients tomatoes through salt together. Spoon gently into "scoops" chips. Place sour cream in a resealable plastic bag. Snip corner and pipe a garnish of sour cream on top of each assembled avocado salsa cup. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Betensons said...

Okay, so are we going to get to eat all this for superbowl? I like some crab cakes please. I'll come hungry

Jackie said...

Are you for hire? I've been looking for a personal chef. I'll scrub your johns and clean your house if you're looking to trade. And go Office! Uh, I mean Cardinals.