
First, I want everyone to know I freely use bribery in my parenting approach. I've also been known to use it with The Huz, at work and pretty much wherever else I thought it could be effective.
After Jameson's first loose tooth experience earlier this year (he fainted at school after a reaction to the novocaine and we ended up at Primary Children's ER) I kept thinking, we've got like 20 more teeth to lose...I don't know if I can handle this. So when the 2nd baby tooth started to be wiggly, I told him as soon as he got it out he could have Lego Harry Potter for Wii. Better than anything that tooth fairy would deliver, right? The weeks passed and he came to the conclusion that the pricetag of pain was not worth a few hours of entertainment. As the adult tooth crept its way behind the baby one, Nate called Jameson "shark" as in rows of teeth. It was time.
We tried the talking/explaining/reasoning approach. We tried the Dad-hold-him-down- to-get-the-thing-out, enhanced bribery, and various others, none of which were successful. So I sat him down and said, "You've got two options, it's out tonight OR you are going to the dentist right after school tomorrow...and you will not be able to get Lego Harry Potter due to the $25 co-pay required." Many tears and pleadings later, I gave Nate the look, as in, let's do it: I held his legs down and his Dad held his arms while he gave one final brush over the tooth with his finger. The thing was out.
Jameson still claims that his Dad was trying to strangle him. I knew Child Protective Services would be at our door after the blood-curdling scream and Jameson threatening he was going to run away to find a family (most likely the Hess's) that actually loved him.
As soon as his color returned to his face and I was convinced fainting was not imminent, he left with his Dad for a Frosty and of course, Lego Harry Potter.
So what's that now? 18 baby teeth to go?
4 comments:
Poor little guy. Ay least he doesn't hold a grudge for to long. Good luck with the rest of those teeth.
Hey, I only go to work because they bribe me in the form of a paycheck! And that child services threat is one we have all heard at one time or another from our children!
i read your blog and now i'm commenting
Wow... I wondered what all the screaming was!! Glad to know it is just a tooth... Cam hasn't lost one, and has only one slightly loose. He keeps wanting to tie it to the door knob with dental floss and slam the door... I told him he can't until it is a lot more wiggly.
Hope he is loving Lego Harry Potter. Cam has been saving his money and just ordered it last week on Amazon... hope it is everything he hopes it would be.
Post a Comment