Friday, November 16, 2012

Us & Donuts

We were in the midst of a wintery snowy land last weekend.  I just hope it's not the season's only storm.  Every time I looked outside flakes were falling.  It was quite a sight here on the benches and with the lake-effect.  Trooper Long was busy clearing crashes and I kept a silent prayer that he would be kept safe.  There was no end in sight with the snow and the same could be said about my boys playing in the fluffy, white stuff.  I wished I had a picture of Jameson in his only slightly flood-length snow pants.  I was thinking earlier this fall when I picked up a pair for Carter that Jameson's snow pants still fit him.  I was way off.  Last night, he put them on and came out of his room singing, "I'm sexy and I know it".  I laughed and then I could not stop. I couldn't help it. The sight was something between Urkel and Amish.  He got mad and refused to go outside and sled on our kid-friendly hill.  Finally, I agreed to turn my head so he could walk past and through the door.  Later that night I went to the store to pick up extra gloves, hot chocolate, and a pair of size 10 snow pants.

A few days ago Oak Hills Elementary held its annual Dads & Donuts. An event that occurs before the start of the school day and a fun tradition to have Dad take you to hear a story and eat donuts.  This year Trooper Long started work at 4:30 am and didn't have the option to go in late so I asked Grandpa (my dad) to accompany Jameson.  Grandpa Wade was more than happy to.  But then the morning of the event came and it was 8:00 am and no Grandpa in sight.  My heart hurt.  I knew my dad had forgotten.  He's experiencing dementia and it brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it.  I told Jameson what I thought had happened and he got the most empathetic, loving look on his face; he knew and understood.  He happily agreed to let me take him (with little brother in tow) to Dads & Donuts.

As we stood in line (me in sweats and Carter with bed-head curls and shoeless) we saw Grandpa heading our way.  He had made it after all.




1 comment:

Shella's Ramblings said...

What a great picture of the three!